Monday, December 12, 2005

Sarabeth's Bakery ØØØ $$

75 9th Ave (on Central Park South)

Yilin and I were near Columbus Circle on a Saturday at 2pm and popped in to Sarabeth's Bakery for a late lunch. She had told me about it more than once, as she and her good friend Vivian used to come here fairly regularly after church. I was hungry and it was a few blocks away; how could I resist?

We were seated fairly quickly as we were only a party of two, while all of the parties of 4 or more had to wait by the door for quite a while. Known mostly for its breakfast and brunch food, Sarabeth's reminds me a lot of Good Enough to Eat (which I really need to review, i.e. go back again!) in terms of the menu style: very "country" and "rural" in that designer rustic way where people have decorations of cows and old wood furniture with white paint peeling off. "Fake country" as I call it. Amusingly, the decor in Sarabeth's is not like that at all. There are long, zebra-striped wall seats ("banquettes" Yilin says they are called) with mirrors above them, purple calla lillies on the tables, and just a funky vibe. Yilin says that the Sarabeth's on the Upper West Side (apparently located next door to Good Enough to Eat) is decorated in an entirely different style.

Yilin ordered a vegetable frittata and pumpkin muffin and I got a cheddar cheese omelet with seven grain toast and a side of homemade chicken sausage. The frittata and omelet were both quite tasty; the eggs were scrambled as to be rather fluffy, yet somehow both the fritatta and omelet had shape without any brown edges. (Perhaps cooked slowly?) The pumpkin muffin, although good, was a little dry, I thought. But that was irrelevant, because we each got a small serving of Sarabeth's famous jam. This stuff is amazing. I used all of mine on my toast, and Yilin used all of hers on her muffin. If they had given me a small jar I would've found something to coat with eat and shove into my mouth. Or I would've just eaten it out of the jar with a spoon, it was that good. I can only describe it as "berry-flavored". Raspberry, I think. It doesn't matter in the end.

I refrained from buying jars of this gooey ambrosia before leaving, although you can if you want to. (I will probably return for more.) From what I understand, this sweet sugary preserve is what shot Sarabeth's to superstardom. It is probably why there were a dozen or so people waiting a long time to eat there in the mid-afternoon.

I can only recommend this place, although if the food is as good at the Upper West Side location, I would say go there as I doubt the crowds/wait will be as crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home