Monday, October 31, 2005

Gonzo ØØØ $$$

140 W13th (b/w 6th and 7th)

Yilin racked her brain to come up with a restaurant to take my mom to for dinner, and there couldn't have been a better choice than Gonzo.
What a great Italian restaurant. Beautiful dining areas, great service, and really good food make this place a winner.

The decor is very nice indeed. I don't know how to describe it other than 'classical' and 'fancy' Italian. (Any help would be appreciated.) Tall ceilings painted with frescoes (?) add to the flavor. There is plenty of room between tables, and the acoustics are such that noise is minimized. These two factors make it a rather quiet place to dine, although not so quiet that you feel the need to whisper.

We started the meal with rice balls, which are little clumps of risotto and cheese battered and fried. Excellent. My mom ordered a penne with 3 cheeses and prosciutto, which she said was great (the menu describes it as "macaroni and cheese for a king"). Yilin had clams, which are usually a side order (and come with bread and dipping sauce), and a salad. She was satisfied with both. I had the rabbit ragout, which was excellent. It had long, wide, flat noodles, rabbit meat, and a tasty meat gravy. For side dishes we had the broccoli rabe, cumin carrots, and zucchini, all of which were very good. However, I believe Yilin was most impressed with the dessert: vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two merengue cookies and drizzled with dark chocolate sauce. It was sweet, and very good, but I was pretty full. Yilin got high off of it, I believe. :)

The service was great. The staff were attentitive, kept refilling our wine and water glasses without interrupting, and cleared away empty plates immediately. The wait for food was fairly short as well, although there weren't many diners when we got there at 6:30pm or so.

I recommend this restaurant highly as a good, safe choice to take family or a date. You really can't go wrong at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home