Magnolia Bakery ØØ $
401 Bleecker St (@ 11th)
How much more famous could a bakery get than Magnolia? I'm not sure it's possible. Lines 20+ people long stream out of their doors constantly. Only on cold windy nights do the lines ever get shorter than that. All for one thing: cupcakes.
I have had their cupcakes before, and while they are good, they are not worth $1.50-$2 each. No cupcake is. (Unless it grants supernatural powers.) This time, however, I had a slice of red velvet cake. I've had that before at Magnolia, and enjoyed it, so this is like a revisit.
The cake is as saturated a red as you can get. I mean, the main ingredient must be "essence of red." It is truly impressive. The cake itself is moist and subtly flavorful. However, the white frosting tastes like a whipped-cream based frosting. I do not like whipped cream, therefore the frosting is not as enjoyable as it could be, in my opinion. Still, it is good.
Yilin told me later that their German chocolate cake is supposed to be amazing. I will have to try it, if not to give Magnolia a chance at redemption. :) You may want to stop in to say you were here, or see what the fuss is about, but I wouldn't expect divine baked goods.
How much more famous could a bakery get than Magnolia? I'm not sure it's possible. Lines 20+ people long stream out of their doors constantly. Only on cold windy nights do the lines ever get shorter than that. All for one thing: cupcakes.
I have had their cupcakes before, and while they are good, they are not worth $1.50-$2 each. No cupcake is. (Unless it grants supernatural powers.) This time, however, I had a slice of red velvet cake. I've had that before at Magnolia, and enjoyed it, so this is like a revisit.
The cake is as saturated a red as you can get. I mean, the main ingredient must be "essence of red." It is truly impressive. The cake itself is moist and subtly flavorful. However, the white frosting tastes like a whipped-cream based frosting. I do not like whipped cream, therefore the frosting is not as enjoyable as it could be, in my opinion. Still, it is good.
Yilin told me later that their German chocolate cake is supposed to be amazing. I will have to try it, if not to give Magnolia a chance at redemption. :) You may want to stop in to say you were here, or see what the fuss is about, but I wouldn't expect divine baked goods.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home