Monday, October 31, 2005

El Malecon ØØØØ $

4141 B'way (@ 175th St)

Located in the heart of Washington Heights, El Malecon is the most underrated restaurant in the history of NYC. Ever. Period. The tagline for the restaurant is "El Rey de Pollo", or "The King of Chicken". But frequenters know that the tagline should really be "El Dios de Pollo", or "The God of Chicken". Why? Because it is.

I have eaten here countless number of times, taken out food countless number of times, and ordered in countless number of times. As long as I live and breathe in NYC I will dine at El Malecon. In fact, I am pretty sure that when I move away from the Big Apple, El Malecon will be the thing that I miss the most.

For a mere $9 you get a whole rotisserie chicken, a giant plate of rice (white or yellow), and a side of beans (red or black). If you are dining in, you also get a bread basket and water with lime. Oh yeah, you also get the 'green sauce' which contains pure tastiness. We are talking about enough food to stuff two large males for the price of an appetizer at many mid-range joints in the city. It truly is the best chicken I have ever eaten. The white rice must be made with meat stock of some kind because I have never eaten white rice this good anywhere else.

Some people are turned off by the perpetually noisy/busy diner-like atmosphere, but I don't mind if they stay away and leave an empty table for me. Everyone I have taken here has been amazed not only by the quality of the food, but by the price as well. If you do not eat here it is your loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home