Sweet-n-Tart ØØØ $$
20 Mott St
Saturday night Yilin and I were grocery shopping in Chinatown, so she brought me to Sweet-n-Tart, a restaurant that she likes with good reason: this place rocks.
We ordered up some shrimp and seaweed dumplings, fried rice with sausage and mushrooms in bamboo, snow pea leaves sauteed in garlic and oil, scallion pancakes, and a dessert that I will describe below.
The scallion pancakes were good, but they were a bit oily. Yilin dabbed the oil off of hers; I just ate mine. The snow pea leaves were great. The taste is similar to a cooked green like spinach or broccoli rabe, but you can taste the sweetness of the snow peas, even though there aren't any peas! Mmmm. The fried rice was great; I ate a ton of that, rather happily I must say. But the dumplings were fantastic. They were boiled in a tasty broth and were very flavorful. I don't particularly love shrimp (I'll eat them, just like I'll eat almost anything), but these dumplings were really good.
Dessert: I don't know the name, but it is effectively these little balls of ground up sweetened rice rolled in a coating of crunchy peanut-flavored... crunch. The texture and consistency was like soft playdoh with some crunchy bits, but the taste was quite good. (I know, my description is not appetizing, but I can't think of any food equivalent for the texture.)
The restaurant as a whole is very nice, and the staff very attentive and efficient. The food was delivered to our table rather quickly, as well. I will enjoy eating here again, I am sure!
Saturday night Yilin and I were grocery shopping in Chinatown, so she brought me to Sweet-n-Tart, a restaurant that she likes with good reason: this place rocks.
We ordered up some shrimp and seaweed dumplings, fried rice with sausage and mushrooms in bamboo, snow pea leaves sauteed in garlic and oil, scallion pancakes, and a dessert that I will describe below.
The scallion pancakes were good, but they were a bit oily. Yilin dabbed the oil off of hers; I just ate mine. The snow pea leaves were great. The taste is similar to a cooked green like spinach or broccoli rabe, but you can taste the sweetness of the snow peas, even though there aren't any peas! Mmmm. The fried rice was great; I ate a ton of that, rather happily I must say. But the dumplings were fantastic. They were boiled in a tasty broth and were very flavorful. I don't particularly love shrimp (I'll eat them, just like I'll eat almost anything), but these dumplings were really good.
Dessert: I don't know the name, but it is effectively these little balls of ground up sweetened rice rolled in a coating of crunchy peanut-flavored... crunch. The texture and consistency was like soft playdoh with some crunchy bits, but the taste was quite good. (I know, my description is not appetizing, but I can't think of any food equivalent for the texture.)
The restaurant as a whole is very nice, and the staff very attentive and efficient. The food was delivered to our table rather quickly, as well. I will enjoy eating here again, I am sure!


2 Comments:
it was watercress not seaweed...how quickly we forget
and so yilin has spoken... (her first comment on my blog!)
doh! i knew i was going to get the green stuff wrong. well, at least i didn't forget an entire dish this time. while typing my review, i was afraid that i would re-commit that grievous sin.
Post a Comment
<< Home